The month of November means the scholastic basketball season is approaching. Before that, we as a staff travel to The Elite 14, which holds the top players from the region & the country. We drove in to Wichita Falls on Friday to see the 3-game slate schedule at Hirschi High School.
Back To The Drawing Board
Was a tough game for Cornerstone Christian vs Trinity Christian International. 2020 UCLA Commit Daishen Nix & Company gave the opposing guards fits with their defensive pressure and applying pressure on the offensive end by constantly looking to attack the basket. For Cornerstone, There were some bright spots to take away from their outing as we project them to be a premier team in the state.
Here are some notes
- 2022 Austin Nunez started out with a Triple off the dribble and was aggressive with the ball in his hands early on, getting to the teeth of the defense. Struggled afterwards and forced the issue which lead to turnovers. Nonetheless, good experience for the young guard going against more mature backcourt players.
- 2021 Jerrell Colbert was effective in spurts. When he plays with high energy & hunts for offensive rebounds, he is effective. Consistency is a very key for continued growth.
- 2022 Tre White produced 21pts 5rebs and was the offensive engine on Friday for Cornerstone. Shot selection was questionable in stretches but when Tre was getting to the cup & generating attention from the defense, that was when he was very effective
- 2022 Caleb Gaston is intriguing. Good size for a perimeter player & possess smooth shooting stroke. Has a chance to become a premier prospect in the class down the line.
Julian Larry Leads the Way For Ischool
Indiana State secured them a Impact player in 2020 guard Julian Larry. He got wherever he wanted on the floor, showcased an improved shooting stroke as he impacted the game on both ends. With vastly improved guard play, Ischool will be a prominent foe in the state.
- 2022 Cruz Davis was very solid. Lefty guard with fluid shooting stroke and good IQ.
- 2020 Austin Lewis provided 20pts on Friday, executing on shots inside and showcasing plus mobility for a big man.
- Senior wing Quevian Adger was effective as well. Provided a strong scoring punch and showcasing the ability to score in a variety of ways.
- 2023 Matt Reed was solid in his minutes. Hit a top of the key three, was physical inside and seemed adjusted to varsity play.
Lawton Christian, Woodlands Battled it Out
- Solid Showing From ‘20 Bakari Lastrap. Managed the game, got the ball to his teammates & hit shots within flow of offense.
- Senior Tucker Noee had himself a strong game as well. Good IQ, can hit shots from the perimeter and possesses solid touch around the rim.
- Devon Barnes knows how to put the ball in the hole. Getting to the foul line and hitting perimeter shots.
- 2022 Big man Didier Maleng was effective in the pint. utilized length to alter shots and collect rebounds. Still raw in some areas offensively but has showed noticeable improvement.